We run many PPI courses in collaboration with our patient partners as part of the Edinburgh Clinical Research Facility Education Programme, take a look at their Courses and Events
- Select course or event below
- Use Book Now button to take you to the external ePay booking site
- Use appropriate Book Event option and follow payment instructions (includes if course is free-of-charge)
- Select appropriate attendee category if paying by card
- Use 'Pay by other method' if paying by invoice or electronic Internal Transfer (eIT) - same rates apply (ePay booking must be completed before forwarding PO or eIT)
- Proceed to checkout, where you will be asked to provide delegation information and payment details (where applicable)
PPI Course descriptions and scheduled dates are below, should there not be a scheduled date for a course you would like to attend, please contact education@EdinburghCRF.ed.ac.uk
Should you wish to set up distinct or bespoke training for your team or department, our PPI Lead would be happy to discuss this with you. Please contact Carol Porteous for more information.
Self-directed | Online (Xerte)
This course aims to help you begin your patient public involvement activities.
These are some of the topics we will cover:
- What is patient and public involvement?
- Ways of working
- Making Patient and Public Involvement work for you
- Challenges and how to overcome them
- Resources: where to find help and support
This course is a free resource
Access to Bitesize Introduction to Patient & Public Involvement (link to external Xerte website )
How can involving patients in the design of your project improve the plans for your trial? What does the evidence tell us about the impact of involving patients and the public in clinical trials? Learn how recruitment and retention can be improved by the involvement of patients and the public Learn when PPI is most useful in the development of clinical trials Understand what knowledge patients and the public can bring which could help in the design and running of your trial Create a plan for PPI in your clinical trial
You are looking to find out what funders such as the Wellcome Trust and NIHR expect in terms of Patient Public Involvement (and engagement); You want to know how to truly incorporate meaningful PPI into the design and delivery of applications; You want to know how to work with Patient co-applicants; You want to be able to evidence your PPI activities in your funding application; and You want to know what activities you should be be involving people in. A better understanding of where to involve patients and the public and what funders' PPI expectations are A plan for completing their funding application A plan of PPI activities for their research project
Are you struggling about where to begin in setting up a PPI group? Are you wondering how to keep an existing panel going? Unsure if a panel is the best means of conducting PPI in your research? Leave with a plan for your new or existing PPI group Know how to create adverts and role descriptions for your panel Understand how to keep running your group and make it sustainable
Develop knowledge and understanding about how to conduct virtual PPI activities, including Planning, Facilitating, Online Platforms and Creating Community Via case studies and examples – explore practical tools for making virtual PPI work for you and your patients and public To use your understanding and knowledge to create a Plan for your virtual PPI activities To build confidence